The agenda of Islamic renewal has declined due to the stagnation of the Al-Qur'an reading model that has occurred for thousands of years. Nasr Hamid Abu Zayd, an Egyptian intellectual, sees this happening because of the overlap between text and meaning as a consequence of the sanctification of the verses of the Qur'an as the word of God which contains absolute truth and creates the impossibility of interpretation beyond the literal meaning of the text. Responding to these conditions, Abu Zayd presents a thesis regarding the textuality of the Qur'an or that the Muslim holy book is a cultural product that contains objective meaning which must be revealed through an understanding of horizontal interactions with the socio-historical world. The implication is that the Qur'an is a textus receptus (received text/mushaf) which must be approached by borrowing various methodologies such as hermeneutics, semiotics and language. Only then, according to Abu Zayd, can the objective meaning of the text free from ideology and subjectivism be achieved. This paper will elaborate on the phenomenon of impasse in the meaning of the Qur'an along with Nasr Hamid Abu Zayd's methodological-hermeneutical proposal regarding both the textuality and the discoursiveness of the Qur'an. Next, some application of Abu Zayd's hermeneutics in usury, polygamy and hakimiyat will be elaborated.
Hermeneutika, Textus Receptus, Kewacanaan Al-Qur’an
- Ali Akbar, Abdullah Saeed, ‘A Critique of the Concept of Ḥākimiyya: Nasr Hamid Abu Zayd’s Approach’, Religions, 13: 11 (2022), 1100.
- Kusmana, ‘Some Implications of Hermeneutical Readings for the Study of the Qur’an’, Quran and Hadith Studies, 2: 2 (2013), 267.
- Kusmana, ‘Hermeneutika Humanistik Nasr Hamid Abu Zayd: Al-Qur’an sebagai Wacana’, Kanz Philosophia, 2: 2 (2012), 265-290.
- Kusmana, Hermeneutika Al-Qur’an: Sebuah Pendekatan Praktis Ap-likasi Hermeneutik Modern dalam Penafsiran Al-Qur’an, (Ja-karta: UIN Jakarta Press, 2004)
- Ichwan, Moch, A New Horizon in Qur'anic Hermeneutics: Naṣr Ḥâmid Abû Zayd's Contribution to Critical Quránic Scholarship, (Leiden: Leiden University, 1999)
- Zayd, Nasr, Critique of Religious Discourse, (New Haven: Yale Univer-sity Press, 2018)
- Zayd, Nasr, Rethinking the Qur'ân: Towards a humanistic hermeneu-tics, (Utrecht: Humanistics University Press, 2004).
- Zayd, Nasr, Teks otoritas kebenaran, (Yogyakarta: LKIS, 2003)